Tuesday, March 6, 2018

I Got No Roots

I came up with the idea for this post when on nitrous oxide.
 
So please forgive me if its random....ha! Like my posts aren't. For the record, nitrous oxide is kind of awesome as a controlled substance.

No Whippets.
 
I do not like going to the dentist. At all.
 
I think it started with several wisdom teeth extractions during my teenage years by a man named Dr. Maul.

20 shots of Novocain, I was numb enough to pull those suckers out.....with resistance. Do you know how long those wisdom teeth roots are? They connect to your thigh bone and never let go.
 
Never go to a doctor with the last name Maul.
 Image result for little shop of horrors dentist

Promise me.
 
The Samantha years brought tooth neglect...years of it. I didn't have the time, I had Dr. Maul nightmares and here is the thing about going to the dentist......you walk in and your teeth feel okay. You walk out and your teeth hurt. I had no time for self induced hurt. 
 
After Samantha, I asked one person for a dentist referral. Note to self.....when looking for a referral, ask more than one person. I ended up with Huey Lewis and the News. I kid you not. He knew every 1980's song, He had every teeth whitening kit ever made. His purple rayon blazers were super rad but after my third re-do on a root canal we had to break up.

It was 2011.
 
WHY WAS THIS SO HARD!!!!???? I wondered as my teeth slowly rotted out of my head.
 
Vulnerable.
 
Nothing makes me feel more vulnerable than a dentist.
 
Image result for little shop of horrors dentist
 
 
I'm not sure why....
 
Related image
 
This afternoon I finished my third root canal.....I got no roots. But now I do have a really good dentist who sat next to me before the procedure, held my hand and said, 'what would give me an 'A' today?'
 
And I said 'No pain.'
 
So he strapped on the nitrous oxide (for me, not him), he gave me some headphones and I listened to my new obsession, Hamilton.
 
The below was not the situation, but I find it funny :)  
 Related image

What is my point???

I have none. Did I mention I was on nitrous oxide when I thought this would be a great blog post?

Okay....maybe here it is. Take care of your teeth. That little molar in the back was a part of me for 47 years and in five minutes he was ground down to a stub, never to be heard from again. Adios little tooth. Thanks for hangin' in there. I'm sorry I couldn't do you better.

Second? It's okay to say when you feel super vulnerable and need some help.

Third? Never go to a Dr. Maul.

No comments:

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...