Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Plunge!

I deviated from the norm this New Year's.





I found myself at the Boulder Reservoir with a mess of crazies.




And I was one of them.

January 1, 2012 I was standing in a long line, shivering at the Boulder Reservoir, waiting to jump in the water. My Supermom friend Amanda was by my side. Amanda put it best.

"My life is full of uncomfortable situations. This is nothin'"

Gotta love me some Amanda.

A funny thing happens waiting in line to plunge into 35 degree water, you bond with the people around you. You talk about why you are doing this, you decide that you might be certifiably crazy but that crazy is kinda fun.



Our turn came, I held hands with people I didn't know, I ran into the water and swam out to the ice. Swimming out was really no problem....really.

Coming back, my body realized the extent of my craziness, forced all warm blood into important organs, leaving my legs to fend for themselves.

My legs didn't want to fend for themselves, in fact they were really quite upset about it. But I stumbled out into shallow water, looking like a drunken sailor and made it to the beach.

And then I realized I had toes.....toes who were just as pissed as the legs...perhaps more so. Toes who were so angry they felt like they just might explode off my feet....little piggies everywhere.

Wool socks and a hot shower convinced them to stay.

Who is joining me next year?

"Why did you do this?" Asked a friend of mine.

"Because it was there?" I answered.

But that's not it, really. It's more that when you are faced with death- when you are forced to live beyond death, the need to embrace life becomes outrageously important.....throw yourself into 35 degree water important. Your toes may be numb but they are telling you every single second that they are quite unhappy....that you are connected to toes....flesh and blood toes.

So 2012, I have made the plunge for you. I really don't expect anything in return just a reminder that I am alive. And perhaps a moment, one or two, to embrace a little craziness.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Amanda Jaksha said...

Love you, it was amazing!

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...