Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Stories We Share

This week my great-uncle Glenn passed away.

He was 90. He lived an amazing life. He was healthy, and he didn't suffer.

But that doesn't mean I won't miss him....

Not that I talked to Uncle Glenn everyday, every month or even once a year but I like the idea of the world with Uncle Glenn.

He was a great story teller. When my '
Popa' (Glenn's younger brother) passed away, I couldn't make it home for the memorial service. I was crushed. I missed my Popa and I didn't know how to say good bye. My family sent me a tape of the service. Uncle Glenn had given the eulogy and told fabulous stories of Popa.....

Popa running naked down the street at age three.

Popa destroying Grandma Chappell's flower beds.

Popa being....Popa...and how much his brother loved him for the man he was.

I hadn't seen Uncle Glenn in years but he had given me a treasure. He had given my stories of my
Popa.

Later, Uncle Glenn wrote a book about
his life; World War II, growing up as a preacher's kid, finding his true love and the parable that accompanies living.

I am lucky enough to have a copy.

I love this book. I love the stories of my family. I love that I am related to someone small enough to be a ball turret gunner. I love the relationship he developed with his crew.

I would also like to know what beauty secret was shared in the 1930's and 40's because everyone,
everyone in the photos is gorgeous. I'm embarrassed to say I went through the book ogling at my great-uncles thinking wow, he was quite a looker.

Priceless....this book is priceless.

I am realizing more and more the power in our stories and the beauty in a life shared. I hope someday my grand niece might be just as interested in her crazy Great Aunt Heather.

Perhaps our stories are our true legacy.

To the Simms'.....wish we could be there tomorrow. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

To Uncle Glenn.....Tell Popa to behave. Give Jack a kiss.

2 comments:

Deana said...

I am sorry to hear your uncle passed away. I've missed several funerals back home since Max was born. It's always hard being the one who can't make it.


I think everyone has a story to be told...even if they aren't the story-tellers themselves. I'm glad your uncle was able to share your Popa's stories with you...and you'll pass them on for the next generation.

Amanda Jaksha said...

Chappell?? My dad is a Chappell...sorry to hear about your uncle. Are you still heading down South tomorrow night? Wanna car pool?

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...