Tuesday, July 26, 2016

At a Loss

You should sit down. 

Are you sitting? 

This weekend I found myself at a loss for words. 

Nothing....to...say.

In fact I feel that the English language has completely failed me. This is ironic because I am an English major and I have recently become completely obsessed with Words with Friends. And I LOVE to talk.

But sometimes there are no words. 

There are no words when you look out at a group of people who have ridden 120+ miles for your cause. 

There are no words for a group that has given thousands of dollars for an obscure disease with no cure.




Thank you doesn't seem to cut it. 

Gratitude seems trite. 

MY GOD YOU ARE SO AWESOME I COULD JUST SMOTHER YOU WITH SLOBBERY KISSES. Seems awkward. 




This weekend was life. In its beauty. In its sadness. In its loss. In its hope and in its love. It was all wrapped up over two days, 3 mountain passes and 6,000 feet in elevation. 

"It was the hardest thing I have ever done." said one rider. 

Maria likened this ride to what Jacob went through every day. 

I just thought it was hard. And amazing. And what is the word for that? Hamazing? 

Yes, it was Hamazing. 

As us riders rode, our incredible group at the house prepped a total of 150lbs of smoked yumminess from Texas, a vat of potato salad and endless pans of macaroni and cheese. 

YUMazing. 


On Saturday evening I stood in front of this group. My heart felt so full it could float out of my chest. And there was nothing I could say that would do this feeling justice. 

So I cried. 

Six years ago yesterday we lost our Miss to this awful disease.

I had no words then. 

Yesterday I drove down from Copper; tired, joyful sad, and so overwhelmingly grateful. 

And I have no words now. 

Perhaps my emotions cannot be contained by Webster's. It cannot be defined or explained. 

But I am in awe of all of you and what you have done this weekend. 

Thank you.

 





No comments:

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...