Sunday, January 26, 2014

“I grow old … I grow old … I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.” T.S. Eliot


Thank you T.S. Eliot.

I don’t know quite what this means because last time I checked, the boyfriend jeans need to be worn rolled with a peep-toe pump.

And yet alas, I have been greeted with suggestions that I am from another era.

The first was the news that Captain and Tennille were getting divorced. Is it THE Captain? Or just Captain? No matter, they were part the cheeky 1970’s songs that still haunt my childhood. ‘Do that to Me one more Time’?

 At eight I thought What? What are they doing one more time?

No one ever gave me answer. Stupid eight tracks.

More disturbing than their divorce is the fact that the Captain never, ever, EVER….

Owned a boat…

Really? Is my whole childhood a sham with a bad mustache? What is a  Captain of if he doesn't have a boat?

On Friday I went to work armed with this scandalous knowledge. And I went to a meeting. And while everyone was mingling in…..you know that mingling time when you talk about random things…..I mentioned, “Did you all know Captain and Tennille are getting divorced???”

Silence….I have my audience.

“AND!”  I kept going…. “The CAPTIAN never owned a boat??? I mean really? What is he the Captain of RIGHT???” I leaned back in my chair and waited for the gasp….

My team stared at me. I took another sip of coffee.

“Heather, who is the Captain and Tennille?” One brave Marketing Assistant said.

“Really?” No! And I burst out into “Love! Love will keep us together!”

Nothing.

“Muskrat Love?”

Nada.

Hmm…..and I went on with my meeting.

Last night I drug Hubs to a Natalie Merchant concert. 

My twenties can be defined by Grunge Rock, Indigo Girls and Natalie Merchant. In 1992, she sang “These Are Days”…..and I knew they were, because I was 20 something and invincible….and. I thanked her for proclaiming it.

Last night, Natalie came out in a black dress and a shawl.

Looking…her age.

Well maybe a bit older.

She is 50 and I know several hip 50’s chicks….who don’t rock it out in a shawl. Hubs fell asleep during the first half.

Where is my Peace Train? My 10,000 Maniacs? Where is These are the Days? Why the heck did the Captain never own a boat??!!!

As I have gotten older, so has my tribe. And I have had to adapt to that in surprising circumstances.  

Hubs loves The Who, and we go every time they tour just in case this is the last time they tour. 

Roger Daltrey has had some crazy hernia operation…..I KNOW this because he takes off his shirt at every concert….and I think…Wow, he’s buff for an old guy but that is a nasty scar.  

Roger was born in 1944. He will be 70 this year. Good Golly. You rock that scar Roger….rock it.

In my dotage, My nieces told me I can no longer use the words “TOTES” in place of totally…..even though I just found out that if I used TOTES everyday instead of Totally, it would save me 26.7 seconds.

That is cray cray…..which is crazy….which I Totes don’t understand because it’s longer than crazy…

I have also been told I can no longer use Cray Cray…..I am Totes disappointed.

And so….life moves on. These Are Still the Days, but maybe with a shawl and hernia operation.

And Love? Love will keep us together…


Totes. 

No comments:

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...