Sunday, September 29, 2013

Resilient

Resilient: Capable of withstanding shock without permanent deformation or rupture

Psychological resilience is an individuals tendency to cope with stress and adversity. This coping may result in the individual "bouncing back" to a previous state ...

I like the first definition the best. Many times I feel like I may rupture :) And I am quite sure I have developed a permanent deformation. 

The last couple weeks I have been privy to a lot of resilient human beings. Nothing makes me more proud of us, as a people, as human beings than the ability to carry on, make the best of things and live our lives with the goal of being happy, especially in the face of adversity. 

We have had these horrible floods. And I have been amazed at the outpouring of generosity in our area AND the resiliency of those who have been affected..... I work with several people who will be displaced for the next couple months, and they come into work, and they attend meetings and if you ask, they will talk about the flood and that they went to the Red Cross for a toothbrush and some new undies and they are crashing on a friends floor....but hey, it's all good......and when did you need that project? 

And I want to fall at their feet and say Work doesn't matter! Let me make you a tater tot hot dish! 

But they are gluten and dairy free and tater tot hot dishes don't convert well to gluten free. So I don't say what I should say, except that they are resilient superheros. 

Speaking of resilient Superheros, last week was Mitochondrial Awareness Week and we had a support group on Saturday. I love seeing the parents, the kiddos and the hope they have in the face of an ever-changing, craptastic diagnosis. 

That does not stop these families. 




We made thank you cards for our Courage Classic Donors



This is Robert on his bike.....he does an amazing job on this bike! 



Robert likes his bike so much he let Cal try it out. I think Cal liked it too! 




This is my favorite picture. It was a good day. 

This week ended with a visit to Maria and Jacob at Children's. Jacob has been so sick this week and Maria is so tired. But there was no sense of pity from her, only a sense of moving forward, getting Jacob better: Resilient: withstanding shock without permanent deformation or rupture
And today I met a new baby brought into this world by a couple who has shown extraordinary resiliency.

“The difference between a strong man and a weak one is that the former does not give up after a defeat.” 
― Woodrow Wilson

To the people in my world, who keep marching on.....keep marching on. 

No comments:

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...