Monday, February 6, 2012

Pink

18 months ago we started a small non-profit in memory of our daughter.

As we planned our marketing strategy, we joked that we were 'No Susan G. Komen' and someday hoped that we would be.

Today, I'm not so sure.

Today, I think there might be something nice about being tiny and slightly obscure and helping in small steps were we can.

The interesting thing about non-profits, especially medical non-profits is that they are emotionally charged, as they should be, lives are at stake.

Susan G. Komen's decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood did not enrage me but it did surprise me. I looked at it as a PR nightmare and I immediately made a donation to Planned Parenthood.

Because as a non-profit, as a private enterprise, Susan G. has the right to endorse or not endorse who they want to. As a return, I have the right to sponsor or not to sponsor who I want to.

But honestly, the whole thing makes me sad.

Because people I love have this disease and it doesn't care about politics, or women's rights or Roe v Wade or who is liberal or conservative. In fact, it is slightly color blind and does not recognize pink.

Perhaps (as odd as this may sound) we have made people over-aware. We think that by buying a pink, frozen pizza, we have done our good. That by NFL players donning pink socks, everything is okay. That millions and millions of endorsement dollars are going to this foundation....an army of pink ribbons fighting this battle.

But talk to anyone going through this and it is not all good. Words don't describe how not-all-good-it-is.

Susan G. has transformed the support for breast cancer. They have created communities for women going through this; support and guidance- letting people know they are not alone. And everyone, everyone knows the color pink.

Now it is time for Susan G. to stop painting the town pink and stop trying to see what new snack food can develop packaging in a lovely shade of rose. Perhaps now is the time to remember why they started on this road in the first place, to offer help.....for everyone.

I think I'm happy with us being small and slightly obscure....

1 comment:

Maryjo Mrogan said...

As usual - you are right so on. Love your words. :)

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...