Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

"A truly great man never puts away the simplicity of a child."
- Confucius

This evening as I watered my garden I watched my nieghbor, Russ teach his son how to mow the lawn. They spoke loudly over the roar of the engine. Russ's voice was composed and instructional. His son Logan excited, almost giddy, finally getting to do something he's watched his dad do week after week for years.

The lawn....a right of passage. A source of teenage income and a grown up chore. Mowers have engines, blades and use gasoline. This is a machine! You have to be old to handle this one; double digits at least, age ten and up.

"We're going to switch it into gear....see that? Alright, now the blade is down and you just walk in a straight line. Is the blade down? I don't think you're cutting anything. Pull the lever. There you go, make it straight." Logan finished a row by himself, stopped at the tree and turned around towards his dad. They both started laughing.

I walked into our house. "Russ is teaching Logan how to mow the lawn." I told my husband.

"I know, I've been listening. It's a big day."

I kept the screen door open so I could hear them in the summer air. I was such a voyeur but I got such a kick out of their father-son moment. Logan, now big enough to mow the lawn.

It's the little events that make a life.

2 comments:

Princess Abigail said...

Hey there! I just stumbled across your blog ... and I've taken a real shine to you and your family. Your little girl is a star! I will keep on reading!
Alison
of the Bernard Bunch

Anonymous said...

I had to X-out of your blog and compose myself before I could write HELLO,

Love, Uncle Mark

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...