Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Samantha's long night

Samantha and I spent the night battling evil catheter nurses, seizures and begging for drugs like a junkie on Hollywood Blvd. Sound like fun? Well at least the coffee is free.

Kids who have muscle issues sometimes have a hard time emptying their bladder..you know the song...the hip bone's connected to the leg bone? Well it is...it's all connected. So we're doing a pee-pee study while we're in here. Enter the evil catheter nurses. After 3 nurses and FIVE tries, I kicked them all out and told them to get the Urologist. They really weren't tyring to be evil but when it comes to five unsucessful caths anyone can look mean. I guess when the nurse looks up at you and asks if your daughter is 'anatomically correct', it's a bad sign. How do you respond to that?

So, it was midnight and Samantha was awake and mad. At home when it's midnight and Samanth is awake and mad we sedate her but since we're looking for seizures....no sedation. Since Samantha hasn't slept since 6:00 this morning, she started seizing. Well, I guess that's what we're here for, right?

Five seizures later, it's 2:00 in the morning and I am begging for drugs. "Give my daughter the goods!!!"

The nurses called our doctors and ten minutes later Samantha is snoozing in her crib...there is a god. I hunker down in our nifty little hide-a-bed and try to get some sleep.

6:30 the people from the lab came in to collect blood and urine. I told them no one in their right mind should be drawing blood from anyone at 6:30 in the morning and asked them to come back later. They failed to see my reasoning but did leave.

Four hours of sleep is do-able. My dad came in at 7:30 with a big coffee....mmmm...coffee.

1 comment:

Amanda Jaksha said...

Poor kid...did they figure anything out with the pee study?

Trauma should be the hall pass to life's other issues. Someone should tell the hall monitor

I posted something cryptic on Facebook Saturday. It caught a lot of attention from my tribe but it really wasn’t a big deal…. nothing ...